Daily I see women who hate their work and I ask “What’s the point in doing something you don’t enjoy?”
I also see many women who are waiting on God to give them jobs.
But as women we have so many opportunities to change our lives, to make it work.
The biggest challenges are all in our heads. And I know, It's scary to think you can start your own business. There is so much that is involved. But if you do your homework properly you can change your circumstances and change your life, FOREVER.
The problem is that we have been taught to be so reliant on pay cheques that we have stopped living. Life is more than a pay cheque. It's an adventure to be discovered, daily.
Imagine you are on your deathbed and you realise what a wasted life you lived?
God gives seed to the sower and expects us to fully use our talents and gifts. Jesus had a full life, why can't you?
So if you have been toying with the idea of starting your own business, here are a few pointers for you to start with:
- Make time for God. Never neglect this part of your life.
- Allow the Holy Spirit to lead you.
- Write the vision down and make it plain for yourself.
- Write a to do list. Things you need to do to achieve your goals. Start doing what you can.
- Choose what you are passionate about. Your passion will be your guidepost.
- Research your potential customer base and make sure there is a demand for your business idea.
- Be prepared for hard work. Owning your own business is like having three jobs working for someone else.
- Even in areas that you are very skilled in; get one or two opinions from people you respect about the business you want to start.
- Network with the right so that you gather the courage to see your vision clearly.
- Be very people-friendly because you are a building a customer base.
- Ask for advice from people whose judgment you trust.
- Support other women and learn from their business.
- Ask questions and learn to be a good listener.
- Give yourself a timeline, i.e. when you should be done with your research,etc.
- Don't allow failure to rule your mind. This will certainly hold you back. Renew your mind.
- Learn to see everything in a new light - a problem solving light. Remember that when you are your own boss, you need to take charge.
- Share your vision with people that you trust.
After having done all, go for it. Don't over think it and don't over analyse it. In business, just like in life, you learn as you go.
Remember, life is a rich journey with many fabulous choices and you should not be afraid to take risks and seize opportunities. God promised to never leave you nor forsake you.
Joshua 1:9 - Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.