Heart to Heart: Charisma Hanekam


From her unwavering faith in God's Word to her undeniable talents as a recording artist, songwriter, composer, and minister of the gospel, Charisma Hanekam's journey is one that resonates with strength and devotion. As a leading vocalist of the illustrious Joyous Celebration choir, she continues to shine as a beacon of light, spreading joy and touching hearts with her exceptional gift. Join us as we explore the essence of her artistry and the profound impact of her faith in this heartfelt interview.

Inside Woman: Please share your testimony of how you came to know Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Saviour?

Charisma Hanekam: I received Christ in my life at a young age. I was about 12 years old I think when I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Saviour. I just felt led by the Holy Spirit to give my life over to Christ. I was young but felt the desire deep in my heart.

Inside Woman: Can a person have a relationship with God apart from Jesus Christ?

Charisma Hanekam: John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me". So my answer would be absolutely not because I believe Jesus is the way to God and there's no other way to God but through Jesus.

Inside Woman: How did you discover your call as a singer?

Charisma Hanekam: At Church mainly and while I was at school.

Inside Woman: How important is prayer and reading the Bible in your walk with God? 

Charisma Hanekam: Hebrews 4:12 says, "for the Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart" . The Word of God brings Life and it connects me to God through His Holy Spirit.

Inside Woman: What where your struggles as a young woman growing up and how did you overcome those issues?

Charisma Hanekam: As a young woman I had so many struggles like so many other young women. I struggled with insecurities which caused me to end up in abusive relationships, and led me to wrong friends. I had to make choices concerning my life and had to seek God, build a strong relationship with Him and find my purpose in Him. I still sometimes struggle with certain issues but I allow God to control my life. I also try to always make positive decisions in how I respond to every challenge I face. It's just a matter of renewing your mind each and every day.

Inside Woman: There are so many scandals in the Church today. For you, what is your personal accountability structure?

Charisma Hanekam: My mentors are my mom and dad. It is important to have Spiritual mentors because they play a big role in your spiritual walk, they guide and advise you concerning the things of God that you might not know about or see. They teach you through the wisdom of God so that you may continuously operate in God's gifts.

Inside Woman:  Why is it important for a Christian woman to be connected to her spiritual home?

Charisma Hanekam: It's so important for a Christian woman to be connected to her spiritual home because it's a place for healing and her social life will improve. She won't do life all alone. The Bible will make sense and she will build a friendship with her Heavenly Father.

Inside Woman: Who is your greatest source of inspiration and why?

Charisma Hanekam: My parents are my greatest source of inspiration because they've always been my support in prayer and guidance.

Inside Woman:  What is your view on how women of God should dress? And is this still an issue that needs to be addressed?

Charisma Hanekam: I believe it's still very much an important issue to discuss today in our churches and something we need to be taught more on. Church is not a fashion show it’s a Holy Place, a place of Worship where God dwells so we should respect His dwelling place. In Romans 12:1 the Word of God speaks to us and instructs us to "present our bodies as living sacrifices, holy, and acceptable unto God, [which is] our reasonable service". How we as women dress in Church should be in a way that says, “I represent God and I'm His Holy Temple". We should not expose His temple to nakedness.

Inside WomanThere are so many negative influences bombarding women from a very early age about what is acceptable, attractive and appropriate. How can women combat and avoid these poor influences to ensure that they are God instructed rather than world instructed?

Charisma Hanekam: God says In His word in Rom  12:2, "do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect". Our minds should be consumed by God's Word and not the world’s image of a fake identity for a woman. Find your identity in God's Word and you will have God’s spiritual influence in you. The Word of God also says it’s not by might nor by Power but by His Spirit, so we should walk by the Spirit of God.

Inside Woman: As a woman does it matter how you look like on the outside?

Charisma Hanekam: I believe a woman should always look good not only to be seen but to feel good about herself. We are Kingdom ambassadors so we need to represent the Kingdom of God in the best way possible while we are still on this earth. Your spiritual life should be your first priority and its beauty should shine through your beautiful clothes.

Inside Woman:  Nowadays many women are very aggressive and desperate when it comes to securing a husband. What can they do to trust God to orchestrate their love story?

Charisma Hanekam:  My advise would be to pray and SEEK GOD FIRST! Matthew 6:33 says, “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you". God knows what you need but His more concerned about growing your character first. As a woman it's important to find your purpose in God because your purpose is always linked to your partner. If you are in a relationship and want to secure a husband, first find security in God and build your relationship with God and everything will work together for you. Trust God and you won't go wrong.

Inside Woman:  You are handling success well. If you could sit down with some of the young girls and give them advice, what would you say to them?

Charisma Hanekam: I would explain to them that success is not flashy cars, big houses, expensive clothes, shoes or bags or even the finest jewellery. Success according to the Word of God is knowing and living out your purpose. Purpose produces prosperity and it fulfills.  I don't earn a lot of money or drive a Mercedes but I'm living out my God given purpose and I am fulfilled. God says in His Word in Prov 16:3, “commit your work to the LORD, and your plans will be established”.

Inside Woman: Do you struggle with being single and how do you deal with that?

Charisma Hanekam: My life is totally surrendered to God. I have a special person in my life though and I thank God that my waiting is over.. hahaha.

Inside Woman: Why do you think that many Christian ladies who are single are struggling with their singleness?

Charisma Hanekam: Christian ladies struggle with being single because they either fear never finding a partner or they allow peer pressure from society to influence their lives. Singleness should be the most exciting time of any woman's journey. I know loneliness is not comfortable but we are never alone because God says He will never leave us nor forsake us. Enjoy being single and seek Christ with your whole heart.

Inside Woman: Let’s talk about woman to woman relationships. It seems that women (more so than men) tend to struggle with issues like gossip and backbiting, and are often too quick to take offense. How can we help women to curb those so called natural female tendencies to really have healthy relationships that last? 

Charisma Hanekam: In James 3:2 the Word says, if we can control our speech, we can control all areas of our lives. As women we should live according to The Spirit. The enemy wants to keep us from stepping into victory in our lives. 1 Peter 2:1, "Lay aside ... all evil speaking." We do not fight a fleshly battle, that means we don't treat others bad or even speaking badly about them because when you do that  you are just defiling your own temple ladies. Our fight is Spiritual. Titus 3:1-2, Christians are told to "speak evil of no one. "We should walk in the Spirit and then only we won't allow any evil work in our lives. As Women we should love each other and forgive one another and living in peace. 


Inside Woman: What is the most valuable lesson are you learning about the process of dating and waiting on God to help you choose the right spouse? 

Charisma Hanekam: Dating should be Christ centered while you get to know each other and preparing for marriage. I believe it’s not about finding the right partner to marry but it’s about becoming the right partner to your spouse through God's principals. 

Inside Woman: What kind of a guy have you asked God for?

Charisma Hanekam: When I prayed for a partner I ask God, that he should be a God fearing man and that he should love me and God gave me just that and that God should prepare me for him. :) 

Inside Woman: There are so many gospel singers around the world? Why do you think God is raising you up for such a time as this?

Charisma Hanekam: God says in Matt 22:14, "many are called, but few are chosen".  I believe I am one of the few chosen ones. Why did God chose a shepherd boy to become a King, I don't know, even David did not know. Moses just had to follow God's lead. I have no idea what God is up to with my life all I know is that He knows the plans He has according to my life,  and they are prosperous. I think the fact is God has just showed me so much favour and I am grateful. I am God's anointed one and my gift will make room for me.

Inside Woman: With your busy life, how do you keep yourself grounded in God’s love and mercy?

Charisma Hanekam: I start my day with God and end my day with God. I make sure that I live in peace and love with all people. Prayer, God's Word and Worship fills my day. 

Inside Woman: It’s just natural that when you are in the spotlight people are drawn to you. How do you deal with that attention?

Charisma Hanekam: I always give God the Glory. I make sure that I keep a humble spirit at all times and that I serve God's people in the best possible way. My attitude should always reflect God. 

Inside Woman: What advice do you have for aspiring artists who may be ministering in the church now, but feel called to be professional artists? 

Charisma Hanekam: To be a professional artist you will have to study music first and then you can be called professional. I went to music school where I learned a lot, so it laid the foundation for my musical career. I am currently doing music production and sound because I believe education is key.

Inside Woman: What are your words of encouragement for people who may have gifts, talents, desires and dreams but they feel ‘stuck’?

Charisma Hanekam: As Gospel artists we should understand God has given us gifts/talents but we have to equip ourselves to grow in our gifts and talents. Firstly you need to identify your talent and then equip yourself . Networking is important and finding out more about the music industry and the business side of it helps. And never give up.

Inside Woman: Is there anybody in particular whom you have looked up to in the industry? 

Charisma Hanekam: Yes of course, I look up to Dr Bynum because she flows in the God's Anointing and she takes her ministry serious.

Inside Woman: What do you say to Christian women who have been abused and they are wondering if God can ever really use them in a powerful way?  

Charisma Hanekam: Like the woman of Samaria, Jesus saved her, and she went and told everyone about Christ. The Woman with the issue of blood, Jesus healed her only because of her faith. Never underestimate the Power of God. Jesus healed me from the abuse I went through and He restored me. These women were all broken, sick and hopeless but Jesus miraculously changed their situations and used them in a mighty way. You can be that vessel if you allow God to heal, restore and change you. Your faith is connected to your miracle, just walk in victory.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.