Heart to Heart: Patience Mlengana



God is empowering women of faith, those who will place their trust in Him regardless of their circumstances. Among these remarkable women is Patience Mlengana, who, like all individuals who have embraced a life of faith, has witnessed God's presence firsthand. Through her experiences, she has come to understand that trials serve as opportunities for personal growth and resilience. Patience identifies herself as a daughter of the Most High God, as well as a devoted wife, mother, minister of the Gospel, and writer. She established Patience Mlengana Ministries with the noble intention of easing the suffering and hardships faced by the less fortunate members of our society. I had the privilege of engaging in a heartfelt conversation with her, and her words left me deeply inspired by God's grace.

Inside Woman: How did you get to know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour?

Patience Mlengana: I was brought up in a Christian family. I grew up going to Sunday school, but I did not have a personal relationship with the Lord. In 1994, I received Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. It was such a special encounter, it was amazing! The day I gave my life to Christ, my life took a 365 degree change.

Inside Woman: What do you mean by 365 degree change?

Patience Mlengana: The person that led me to Christ showed me things that I had never seen in the Bible. I was very sick at that time and I had terrible migraines; and the doctors couldn’t find a solution for me. The man who led me to the Lord came all the way from Zimbabwe and told me that God wanted to do something special for me and he has been tasked with leading me to the Christ. After he led me to God with a prayer, he laid hands on me and I instantly got healed.

Inside Woman: How has that relationship helped you during the difficulties that you faced in your life?

Patience Mlengana: In 2008, my husband's critical operation didn't go as planned. He fell into a coma for seventeen and a half days, spending three and a half months in the ICU. It took five grueling years for his full recovery. During that time, it felt like the devil was trying to break me, but little did I know that God was shaping me into a strong and resilient woman. I realized my desperate need to wholeheartedly know God, as no other solution could save me. Despite having the means to pay for doctors, it was Jesus, the ultimate Physician, who brought hope.

Through these experiences, I discovered that God's Word, the Rhema, reveals profound truths in our personal trials. For instance, the promise of a peace beyond understanding becomes clear amidst turmoil as God graciously provides it.

My faith was tested, pushing me to trust and believe in God's Word above everything, even when doctors gave negative reports.

I sometimes wonder if I would have the patience I have today without those hardships. Although I wouldn't wish such struggles on anyone, I wouldn't trade them for anything because they shaped me into who I am now. I firmly believe that God's grace empowered me to endure for an extended period. It is through testing that we truly discover ourselves.

Inside Woman: And you had another test in 2011?

Patience Mlengana:  While attending a meeting, I suddenly felt uncomfortable and bloated after consuming a muffin and a drink. The discomfort continued to intensify, prompting me to purchase Gaviscon from a nearby pharmacy after the meeting. However, the pain grew worse, and I began praying in tongues, seeking solace in my spiritual connection. I prayed fervently during my journey home and upon arrival, I implored my husband to pray for me. Despite his prayers, the pain persisted, leading me to request that he take me to the hospital.

Upon reaching the hospital, I found myself unable to walk due to the agony. Four hours later, I was rushed into the operating theater, where the doctor diagnosed me with a bowel obstruction, a potentially fatal condition. In the midst of this trial, I clung to the assurance that God had promised never to abandon or forsake me. Throughout my hospital stay, I waged a spiritual battle, affirming God's promises over my life. I firmly believed that this experience would ultimately become a testimony of His faithfulness.

On the fourth day, the doctor determined that another operation was necessary and promptly took me back to the theater. Throughout this ordeal, I held onto the scripture that proclaims the same power which raised Christ from the dead would also give life to my mortal body through His indwelling Spirit. I trusted in the transformative power of God to eradicate anything that was not aligned with His will within me. And true to His faithfulness, God delivered me from the figurative fire, leaving no trace of its scent upon me.

I am convinced that the devil's attacks are not aimed at our present circumstances but rather at the potential and future plans God has for our lives. The adversary knew that although I had been involved in ministry for some time, I had yet to officially launch and establish my own ministry. He sought to obstruct my progress. However, God has proven Himself faithful to me time and time again.

Inside Woman: Why do you think we go through challenges?

Patience Mlengana: Testing brings out the best in us. You can’t teach what you don’t understand and the tests open up opportunities for us to be authentic in our teachings and it earns you the right to be heard. I have learned that when we go through challenges it’s not only about you. We have to have a telescopic view of what God has in store for us.

I have yet to find someone who God has used tremendously that has not had a challenge. Abraham had to believe God to give him an heir. He had to stand against all odds.

We all have to work out our salvation with fear and trembling; and every opportunity is for us to grow.

Inside Woman: Why did you start your ministry?

Patience Mlengana: For as long as I have been born,again I have been ministering. My husband and I decided long time ago to use every resource that God has given us to build His kingdom. We have a vegetable farm to feed people. God decided to stretch us and encouraged us to come into partnerships with others because we can do more when we get others involved.

The platform is to bring more souls to Christ, because this is what it’s all about.

Inside Woman: If you had to do this again what would you change?

Patience Mlengana: My life has been predestined. God chose me. I cannot regret anything that I have done because it has given me a better perspective on being in the world and being in the Kingdom. I will not encourage anyone to live a careless life and think that one day God will find them. The sooner you come to Christ, the better your life will be. There is more advantage in growing up in the Lord. I don’t know how it would have been if I received Christ when I was younger, but I know how it has been since I did. I don’t want my kids to go through what I have gone through.

Inside Woman: What is your role as the older woman in the lives of the young women that God has given you?

Patience Mlengana: I must be an example to my children, because God makes me responsible for them. My children need to see me exemplify my faith, not just preach it. So when it comes to things we believe in God, we involve them so that when the answer comes, they know that it is God who has answered the prayer. In this way, they can also learn to trust God when I am not there to help them, for example, when they are at university, etc.

Children are very smart, they listen and observe what you do. My 12 year old daughter once came to me and told me that one of her classmates did not believe in God, and she told me that the boy had become her “project”. I told her to share the word with him. She said, "No, Mommy, he won’t understand. I will tell him about our testimony, how God helped us when you were sick and when Daddy was sick, and then share the Word later”." You see, because she saw how we do things here at home, she now knows how to serve. 12years old

Speaking now to the young women in the church, I would say when you are born again, remember that doesn’t mean you are on a cruise. Remember that there is an enemy. I experience this with those who have just been born again and married.

I also remember when I got married; I saw things that were not in line with what I had asked God for. I thought maybe I had made a mistake. I didn’t realise that Satan was trying to destroy what God had given me. But I am grateful that I had a spiritual mother to guide me and help me. She said to me, "Be patient, the Bible says that you are more than an overcomer through Christ Jesus. One day you will leave this earth and God will ask you: what have you overcome? You can’t leave your husband because he comes home late or he's drunk? You have to overcome that".

We all have to fight on our knees in every area of our lives. Remember, we are fighting against the powers of darkness, not against the flesh. Everyone who became strong in the Word of God had to fight for what they believed God to be, and they had to stand firm.

Inside Woman: Let’s talk about woman to woman relationships. It seems that women (more so than men) tend to struggle with issues like gossip and backbiting, and are often too quick to take offense. How can we help women to curb those so called natural female tendencies to really have healthy relationships that last?

Patience Mlengana: This comes when women don’t understand the Word of God and their purpose on earth. We all have unique gifts and talents. If I try to imitate other women, I will be their echo and I’m robbing myself of an opportunity to be used by God in the ministry that He has for me. When God calls you, He will also give you an audience that will listen to you and be specifically affected by you. God will also empower you to excel in what He has called you to do. Once we recognise what God has done for us and is doing for us, we won’t feel threatened by other women. We will support each other and the Grace of God is sufficient for all of us.

Inside Woman: What if a woman hears from God about starting a ministry, but her spiritual parent(s) isn’t behind her–doesn’t support her. Should she press forward?

Patience Mlengana: A person first of all is called by God, but we also have a responsibility to respect authority in our lives. The reason is because we need people who have gone before us because we can’t buy experience. We need to be guided by those who have gone before us. What took my pastor fifty years to do, I can do in less time because he will be there to guide me.  And when I sit at his feet and listen, it will build me. Rebellion is not of God.

The heart of kings is in God’s hands. If God wants to use you, God is not limited to showing your pastor the truth about what he is doing.  We also have to acknowledge that there are pastors who have not been encouraging their children to move forward because they feel threatened.  So, when people go out on their own, we really don’t know their circumstances. Having said that, I know that nothing is impossible with God. His Grace is sufficient.

Inside Woman: Do you have any words of encouragement for women who are dealing with depression and feeling hopeless?

Patience Mlengana: A lot of people go to Church and are born again but they fail to renew their minds.  You cannot fully live by faith just by hearing the pastor preach on Sunday. You need to spend time in the Word of God and understand God for yourself. There is nothing wrong with getting help, but like I said, everyone needs to work out their own salvation with fear and trembling. I don’t want to be a Christian that is dependent on pills.  I want to grow to the point of trusting God to fully believe His Word, that when He says I am healed by Jesus’ stripes, then I am.  People need to decide for themselves how to live their faith according to the Bible.

Inside Woman: Why is it crucial for Christians to read and study the Word?

Patience Mlengana:  Because that is the essence of being a Christian. The Bible says the just should live by faith and faith comes by hearing and hearing through the Word of God. Jesus said you can't live by bread alone but by every Word that comes from the mouth of God. Without the Word of God, you are doomed.

You can contact Patience Mlengana on:

Tel: +27 (0)11 260 6621
Fax: +27 (0)11 260 6620
Email: info@pmministries.org

No comments

Powered by Blogger.